- Parents and community members are encouraged to be active participants in the educational process. The District promoted frequent two-way communication with parents, family, and the community through a variety of meetings, forums, publications and media.
- Superintendent and district staff attended community meetings and appeared on radio and television shows, encouraging feedback and fostering positive working relationships.
- The Board of School Trustees conducted monthly Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) meetings at various locations in the Areas they served.
- The Board of School Trustees initiated an interactive television program, “School Matters,” on Vegas PBS that allows community members to ask questions and receive real-time answers on a variety of important district topics. “School Matters” airs several times throughout each school year.
- The Board of School Trustees made video coverage of the regular meetings available online with live streaming during the meetings and archived videos afterward.
- Video messages from the Superintendent, district staff, and the Board were made available online.
- The District hosted a number of news conferences in order to expand the information provided to the community.
- The District developed series of grade-specific learning activities for parents, to assist with learning over the summer. The series was available online in its entirety.
- The Board of School Trustees held Community Linkage meetings to gather community input.
- The Board of School Trustees also provided monthly newsletters as well as special edition newsletters to their districts, which included calendar events, helpful information, and articles on a variety of topics.
- Surveys were distributed to more than 230,000 households requesting feedback from parents regarding all aspects of their child’s schooling.
- The District hosted a variety of forums on specific topics at various locations throughout the school year.
- The CCSD website contained timely information for parents and provided links to individual school’s web sites. The online “Straight Talk” feature enabled the community to send comments, suggestions, and concerns directly to the Board of School Trustees and Superintendents.
- The District presented “Inside Education,” a 30-minute news program highlighting activities in the District, made weekly presentations on Vegas PBS, and included weekly segments of “Parent Talk” that provided ways to engage families in their students’ academic success.
- Schools throughout the District produced and distributed newsletters about their specific school programs, activities and events.
- The District's parental online communication systems, ParentLink, provided a means in both English and Spanish for parents and guardians to quickly and securely track their children’s academic progress. In addition, most schools utilized outgoing voice messaging to inform parents of student progress or other important matters.
- Parents and community members regularly participated and provided input to critical committees, such as:
- Career and Joint Technical Skills Committee
- Attendance Zone Advisory Commission (AZAC)
- CCSD Textbook Commission
- Sex Education Advisory Council
- Nevada Partnership for Inclusive Education
- Area Child Development Centers
- Several district publications provided important information and a means to communicate with district personnel. Those publications were posted on the District’s website.
- A parent liaison position is in place and is actively involved with numerous parent organizations to increase parent involvement and communication.
- The following initiatives were coordinated through the Parent Services office:
- Applied for and received a United Way World Wide Grant to create Family Engagement Centers in five high schools.
- Coordinated the Second Family Enrichment Day at the University of Nevada Las Vegas with over 500 participants.
- Participated in various schools’ Parent Information Night.
- Participated in the City of Las Vegas Councilman Ross Family Information Night.
- Coordinated and recruited participants for the Parent School Partnership Training - included teachers, parents and support staff in collaboration with Nevada State Parent Information Center.
- Coordinated and recruited participants for the Math and Parent Partnership Training in collaboration with Nevada State Parent Information Resource Center.
- Coordinated the CCSD Administrator Training with Anne Henderson. Coordinated and planned the Third State Wide Parent Involvement Summit, hosted at the University of Nevada Reno.
- Participated in various schools’ Health and Wellness Fairs.
- Conducted Behavioral Communications Workshops at the Nevada State Parent Teacher Association’s Annual Convention and the First Emerging Minorities Leadership Conference.
- Coordinated the Districtwide Parent Engagement Forum which meets monthly throughout the school year.
- Participated with and advised the Statewide Parent Advisory Council created in 2007.